The kitchen can be called one of the most difficult premises in terms of furniture arrangement, and if its area is insufficient, then the problem with an asterisk is obtained altogether. First of all, you need to find suitable places for a stove, a sink, and a refrigerator – these are the main furniture in the kitchen. In addition, it is necessary to properly arrange all the storage places and at the same time successfully place the dining area also, so that the kitchen is functional and convenient for cooking and rest.
Of course, it is necessary to push off from the location of the main communications and the possibility of at least a little transfer, for example, a sink or gas stove. In any case, it is better to sketch out the plan for the future location of all pieces of furniture and equipment in order to avoid unnecessary rearrangements and certainly know that everything you need will fit exactly. First, you need to measure all the parameters of the kitchen and transfer them to scale on a sheet of paper or in a special application. The second option is preferable, as it is better for the kitchen to create a three-dimensional model because the walls in this room are very actively used. On the plan, do not forget to note the location of windows and doors, as well as all communications. Now you can start thinking about the location of all zones in the kitchen and each item individually. How to arrange all the necessary furniture and appliances in the kitchen, what safety rules to take into account, will prompt our advice.
№1. How to arrange furniture in the kitchen?
The location of the key elements in the kitchen, refrigerator, stove, and sink is determined by the location of the kitchen furniture. For the convenience and speed of cooking, the distance between these three elements should not be large. At the same time, there should be a free space between the working area and the dining table for easy movement: at least it is 90 cm or better 120 cm.
Depending on the shape of the kitchen, its area and personal preferences, there are several types of successful planning:
- A linear arrangement of kitchen furniture is suitable for small and narrow kitchens, the length of which is from 2 to 3.6 m. In this case, all the furniture along with the stove, sink, and refrigerator is placed along one wall. As a rule, with such planning, the refrigerator and the stove are located at the edges, and the sink is located between them;
- L-shaped placement is one of the most successful kitchen furniture layouts, as it meets the rule of the triangle, according to which the sink, stove, and refrigerator should form the vertices of an equilateral triangle. At the same time, the length of its sides should be from 1.2 to 2.7 m, so that everything is at hand, but at the same time, so that you do not have to reel in the kitchen while preparing the next dish. If these key elements are arranged in the form of the letter “G”, then the rule of the triangle is the easiest to implement. This arrangement of furniture is suitable for the kitchen of any area, and there will be plenty of space for the dining area;
- The U-shaped layout uses three adjacent walls for the location of kitchen furniture. This is very convenient, and the rule of the triangle is easy to observe, but you need to take into account that this is an option for kitchens of medium size – about 10-12 m 2 or more. So, at a standard width of the countertop of 70 cm, on both sides “sneaks” almost 1.5 m, and at the same time it is necessary to leave enough room for movement; location of furniture in the kitchen U-shaped place furniture in the kitchen
- The G-shaped layout of the kitchen is reminiscent of the previous type of furniture layout, but there is room for a small fourth party, whose role is most often played by the bar counter. Depending on the area of the kitchen, it can be the boundary of the working and dining area or a dining table; the location of furniture in the kitchen g-shaped
- The kitchen with the island is suitable for sufficiently spacious rooms, the area of which starts from 18 m 2. In the case of a G-shaped or U-shaped general layout, a detached island is taken to the center of space, which serves as a working surface, and on which a cooking surface and, sometimes, a sink can be located. The island will be a convenient place for cooking because it is equidistant from all objects; the location of furniture in the kitchen with the island
- Kitchen with a peninsula – a fairly rare type of kitchen layout. Suitable also for spacious rooms and its peculiarity is that the island is connected to the rest of the furniture, which is located linearly, less often – L-shaped. On such an island, there is a working surface, a sink, and a stove; location of furniture in the kitchen with a peninsula
- A two-row arrangement of furniture – an option for a spacious and an entrance kitchen. Along one wall there is a plate and a sink with a working surface, along with the other – a refrigerator and storage. Naturally, the dining area in such a kitchen is moved out of the working area, and the distance between the two lines of furniture should be at least 120 cm.
Do not forget to take into account not only the location of furniture in the kitchen but also its height. Thus, the average height of the tabletop is 85 cm, but for tall people, it will be more convenient to cook at a tabletop height of 90-100 cm. To find the optimal value for yourself, you need to bend your arms in elbows parallel to the floor and measure down to 15 cm.
№2. Where to put the refrigerator?
When locating key elements of the kitchen space, it is necessary to take into account not only the requirements of ergonomics but also safety. Let’s start with the refrigerator. First of all, it is worth noting that all high objects, especially in a small kitchen, are better placed at the edges, so as not to tear the space of the countertop.
When installing the refrigerator, it is important to pay attention to the way in which its door opens. It is better if it opens to the nearest wall, and it is important that it can be swung open 90 degrees to unhindered pullout and put any product. By the way, many modern models of refrigerators allow you to change the side of opening the door, which will please those who like rearranging or trying to fit everything you need into a tiny kitchen.
№3. Where to put the stove?
If you use a gas stove, it is important to consider its distance to the window or the balcony door. If it is less than 50 cm, then there is a high risk that the wind will extinguish the flame. Similar problems will not occur when using an electrical, and even more so, induction cooker.
Placing a plate, no matter what type it is is also undesirable in the corner; otherwise, the adjacent wall surfaces will quickly be covered with droplets of fat. If there is an empty corner, it is better to put a high and narrow pencil case in it. From the stove to the row of upper lockers should be at least 50 cm.
Near the stove, it is appropriate to arrange the storage of all those items that are needed for cooking: pots, pans and other utensils. If there is a child in the house, then it is better not to use drawers near the stove: on them, the baby can climb up and burn himself.
№4. Where to place the sink and dishwasher?
The smaller the distance from the sink to the sewer riser, the better. A short drain pipe is easier to disguise and more difficult to damage, but if you really want to move the car wash from its previous place, keep in mind that it should not be taken further than 3 meters from the location of the sewage drain.
It is also better not to have a sink in a corner, for the same reasons as the stove. The close proximity of the plate and sink is undesirable, that the spray does not fall on the heated frying pans. Optimum, if there is a worktop between the hob and sink, the width of which is from 60 cm.
For a large family can provide a dishwasher. The best location for it – in the immediate vicinity of the sink, so it was convenient to connect to the communications.
№5. Place for drawing
If cooking processes in the kitchen can be called at least more or less active, the exhaust is simply necessary. That is why a traditional or built-in hood is built above the stove. It is also necessary to remember that the distance between the upper and lower tiers of boxes should be at least 50 cm, and for drawing, the optimum height above the plate is just 65-70 cm. If you are tall, then it is better to place the hood higher, but at the same time, It is worth remembering that the required power also increases with increasing placement height.
№6. Optimum storage space
Depending on the area of the kitchen, personal needs and the number of family members, there are very different requirements for storage locations and their capacity. You can store all the necessary utensils and food in the usual cupboards and drawers, and in rather unexpected places.
Under the countertop, of course, you just need to organize a storage space, and, from standard drawers with swinging doors, you can opt out of the drawers. They contain not less than a number of objects, and access to them is more convenient because you can immediately see what lies on such a shelf, even in its deepest parts. Together with them, you can use traditional boxes, and to make them more convenient to use, you can equip them with separators.
Hinged boxes – another integral element of storage of things, but in order to relieve the kitchen space, you can use open shelves. The high and narrow cabinets-pencil boxes are distinguished by their spaciousness: on the lower and middle shelves there are objects necessary every day, and higher it is possible to hide those things which are used much less often.
If there is a void in your furniture layout, then you can fill it with a cargo rack. This is a narrow cabinet that extends forward; it can conveniently place bottles, cereals and other utensils. Along the apron, you can organize railings to store the most necessary things in the immediate vicinity. In addition, such rails can become a real decoration of the kitchen. Do not forget about the capacious corner shelves and drawers, and with the creative approach, you can find the most unexpected solutions. So, under the dining table you can put a nice wicker basket, which will also become a storage place, and if there is a kitchen corner, then you can choose a model with storage locations inside.
№7. A place for dining area
Depending on the location of furniture in the kitchen area, the space for the dining table can be placed in different ways. We reject the options when the dining area is located outside the kitchen, and try to find an option for the best location of the dining table:
- By the window. The table can become a continuation of the window sill, and at the meal, you can admire the scenery outside the window, if it is, of course, of value. In addition, the natural lighting of the dining table will allow you to do without artificial lighting until dusk. The variant is suitable for kitchens with an area of more than 7 m 2 with a double row, single row and L-shaped arrangement of furniture in the kitchen;
- In the middle. This arrangement of the table is suitable for large kitchens and large families. The location of the rest of the furniture can be anything; the main thing is that there is room for free movement;
- A table in the corner is an excellent option for small kitchens, where the furniture in the kitchen is L-shaped or linear. You can supplement such a table with a corner sofa;
- The table under the wall is an option for narrow kitchens, while it can be of any shape, even foldable if the area is very small.
№8. How to place furniture in a small kitchen?
Many apartments, unfortunately, cannot boast of spacious kitchens, so the owners have to count everything down to a centimeter in order to place the necessary items. Designers have accumulated vast experience in the arrangement of such spaces. Their main advice is as follows:
- Use the L-shaped arrangement of furniture in the kitchen to place a maximum of useful objects on a minimal area. Excellent fit for this purpose corner set and lockers can be supplied with sliding doors;
- An alternative to corner furniture and hanging closets in a small kitchen – high pencil cases. The interior will be laconic if you use two of these pencil cases in different corners of the room;
- If the kitchen is very tiny, then the dining table can be folded, and can for a while and at all fold to the wall. The role of a dining table can even be played by a bar counter;
- In boxes and tables for the optimization of storage, it is possible to use stacked trays: they contain much more necessary things, they will always be neatly stacked and easily found;
- Microwave it is better to place in the corner part of the countertop: it is not very comfortable to use, and for the location of the equipment this place is ideal. The mixer and blender are recommended to be fixed on special shelves directly above the table top – so they do not take up space and are always on hand; a refrigerator is better to buy a narrow and high, and if the family is small and a huge supply of food is not needed, then a low refrigerator, on top of which it is possible to install a microwave oven, is also suitable;
- Analyze the need for some technique, such as an oven. Not everyone actively uses it, so in some cases, in its place, it is reasonable to organize an ordinary cupboard for storing kitchen utensils.
It is worth noting that in the desire to place as many things in the kitchen, the main thing is not to overdo it and not to smear it. Space of walls, incl. above the working area, you can use it, but very carefully, so as not to visually reduce the area of the kitchen.
Properly place furniture in the kitchen, considering all the basic rules of security and ergonomics, it seems, is not so easy. But if you make a preliminary plan and think over the location of each object, consider several options and carefully analyze them, the task becomes simpler and turns into a creative, fascinating process.