To instill crumbs personal hygiene skills is from birth. When the first tooth appears, the parents begin to use a special brush in the shape of a fingertip, which gently cleans a few teeth and massages the gums. With two years, you can go on a full-fledged toothbrush. Opinions about the electric variant of the hygienic product are divided – some cautiously glance at this innovative invention and prefer the traditional model of the brush to it, while others with pleasure get an electric assistant for the smallest ones. How to choose the best baby electric toothbrush?
The main types of toothbrushes for children
It should be understood that the electric version of the brush should be just child. The variant, when the tip changes from adult to child, will not work. The fact is that the number of movements and the vibration ability of children’s brushes are completely different. Children’s electric brushes models can be different:
- Working on ultrasound. This option is considered the most effective. Ultrasound can quickly destroy the bacterial film on the surface of the tooth, as well as pigment. Ultrasonic waves are generated, thanks to the built-in generator.
- Sound model, In this case, the brush is spinning and performs certain sound vibrations, which enhances the cleaning effect.
- The usual variant of an electric toothbrush is a nozzle rotating through the body with a motor, which removes bacterial plaque and food debris from the teeth.
Children’s models have a more compact size and colorful design. A conventional hand brush is not as effective as its electric “sister.” The rotating head removes plaque, food debris, and other contaminants from the surface of the teeth with maximum quality, making it smooth and shiny.
Advantages of an electric toothbrush
- Able to remove twice as much plaque as a manual counterpart. Pulsation allows you to get rid of pigment plaque, penetrate deeper into the gaps between the teeth.
- Due to the round shape of the movable nozzle, the bristles fit each tooth well at the base, which significantly increases the cleaning ability of the product.
- The attractive design of the child version of the product. Children are happy to engage in routine exercise – brushing their teeth. After all, an electric toothbrush for children is usually performed in the form of a variety of fairy-tale heroes that fascinatingly buzz and rotate.
Children are by nature very curious, so they will not disregard an unusual subject. The baby will surely be attracted by a strange toothbrush. He will want to know what this “beast” is and what he “tastes.” The task of adults is to teach a crumb to properly use an electrical product and to control the process of brushing their teeth in order to prevent unplanned situations. And there will definitely be such ones because the little experimenter will certainly want to understand the structure of the toothbrush, to understand the principle of its work. To this end, he will try to disassemble it. But if the adults correctly explain all the subtleties, then the crumb will soon treat the toothbrush as a constant daily helper.
You may also like: Measurements for sewing children’s clothes
Brush selection according to age
The enamel of the teeth has a different density at different ages. Therefore, a brush that is good for a first grader will not suit a nursery kid at all. Children under three years old need to pick a brush with soft bristles. Schoolchildren can pick up a product with a greater level of stiffness of the bristles.
On models of children’s toothbrushes, the age category is usually indicated: from 0 to three years; from three to six years; from six to seven years; brushes for teens.
What else should you pay attention to when choosing the best electric brush for children:
- As the brush head moves. If movements are only reciprocating, then such a brush can be purchased for children up to three years old. The sound model, which also implies pulsating movements, is suitable for children over three years old. It is worth paying attention to the indicators of the frequency of movements, choosing the intensity depending on age.
- A pen. It should be as comfortable as possible so that the baby can easily hold it in her hands. Preference should be given to handles made of non-slip material and with a protective ring.
- The brush head should not be too big. A large and uncomfortable head will make dental care an uncomfortable process, and therefore, not a favorite one for the baby. And our task is to do everything so that teeth cleaning is an interesting and enjoyable experience.
- Its height should not be more than 11 cm, and the rigidity – below average. It is recommended by a family dentist in Stafford to choose models with synthetic bristles, as in nature there are often more channels in which bacteria can accumulate. And her structure is not as homogeneous as we would like. In addition, natural material bristles quickly break down and can damage the tender gums of a baby.
- The existence of replaceable nozzles. This will allow you to change only the head of the product as it wears, without buying a new brush.
- The number of head movements per minute. For products for children, this figure varies from four to six thousand.
- The presence of modes of operation. Typically, products for adults are equipped with several modes: gum care, whitening, professional cleaning, for a particularly sensitive dentition. For children’s models, it is enough to have two modes – delicate and standard.
- Power sources. According to reviews, it is best to choose a brush with the ability to recharge from the network, that is, the battery option. But also the models working on finger-type batteries, also should not be discounted. They will be indispensable in cases where it is not possible to provide access to a power source.
Today, there are models of “smart” toothbrushes that control the intensity of pressure of the nozzle of the working type on the teeth. Also, such products are equipped with a control timer, through which you can control the cleaning time of each department of the dentition.
And, of course, when choosing the best option for an electric toothbrush for a child, you should pay attention to the color and decoration of the product. For boys, designers come up with more boys’ designs in blue, with heroes-robots or soldiers. For girls, gentle tones (pink, light lilac) with design in the form of princesses and other girly characters are provided. Replaceable tips are made in a universal color, which allows them to be used for products of any gender category.
How to store and operate the device
After purchase, the brush should be treated with an antiseptic before use. It is impossible to use boiling water for these purposes since synthetic bristles cannot withstand boiling. Children under five must use an electric toothbrush under the supervision of their parents. The nozzle should be changed at least once every three months. Store the product should be upright in a cup or on a special stand. If there are two children in the family, then it is better to buy them different brushes in design so that they do not confuse them.
When using an electric toothbrush is undesirable:
- increased tooth wear;
- bottle caries;
- a wedge-shaped defect was found on the cervical area;
- the presence of gingivitis or periodontitis.
Before you buy a brush that works on batteries or a battery, you should make sure that the child does not have the above problems. If any of the items found, then you first need to fix the problem at the dentist and only then purchase an electric hygienic product.
Knowing how to choose the best electric brush for a child, you can get a reliable assistant for your baby and thus protect his or her oral cavity from infections.