Have you come across recipes that have sour cream, sour cream, sour cream, or sour cream among the ingredients? Well, if you don’t know what it is or you can’t get it, don’t worry we teach you how to make sour cream and get all those Mexican recipes that you love so much to perfection.
Sour cream is a fermented milk cream, it looks like yogurt but it is not quite. It is used very frequently in Mexican cuisine where it is served as a complement to all kinds of dishes. Due to its versatility, you can use this homemade sour cream recipe for a wide variety of burrito preparations, meat, chicken, salads, and more, some of which we will suggest later.
In addition, to prepare it, you do not need more than 4 easy ingredients that you will probably have at home. So go ahead and prepare homemade sour cream for your dishes or for snacking with friends. Go for it!
Ingredients to make homemade sour cream:
- 1 Greek yogurt or plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1 dessert spoon of lemon juice
- 1 pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper for garnish (optional)
How to make homemade sour cream:
- To start with the sour sauce recipe, pour the Greek yogurt into a deep bowl to make it easier to mix the rest of the ingredients. If you do not have or cannot find Greek yogurt. It may be worth heavy cream, whipping cream, or, as a last and no less good option, a natural creamy yogurt without sugar.
- In a separate container add the lemon juice, you will only need a simple splash without overdoing it. Because if you add a lot of the yogurt it could cut.
- Now add a small pinch of salt to the lemon juice and mix until it dissolves. It will cost a bit but it must be completely diluted to avoid finding grains of salt in the sauce.
- Once the juice is ready, pour it slowly over the yogurt while stirring in turn. Do it in a slow and enveloping way, you don’t need a lot of mixing time. When everything is integrated, put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to give the sour sauce more body.
- After this time, take the sour cream out of the fridge. Stir again a little and serve with a touch of ground pepper. Use this soft and aromatic homemade sour cream to prepare exquisite dishes. It gives a special touch to the usual ones or serves it as a dip sauce at your meetings
Sour cream sauce Recipes and Tips
As recommendations, keep in mind that, like all dairy products, you should always keep it refrigerated, although if you are going to add it to hot products, it is best to remove it from the refrigerator a few minutes before serving to take the cold out a bit.
Now that you know how to make an easy sour cream or sour cream and you don’t have to buy the ones from the supermarket, nothing will stop you from preparing some of the most delicious sour cream or sour cream recipes.